06-05-2012

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Genre: Historical Paranormal Romance YA
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1
Publisher: Putnam Publishing Group
Buy the book: The Book Depository
Source: Won an ARC from Wendy over at The Midnight Garden

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave. 
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with six months to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate stars scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. 
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood -- not even from each other.
I must say this story actualy surprised me, well not the story itself, but that I actually finished it. When I was 90 pages in I was sure that I knew what was going to happen further on in the story. And for a few not so important surprises, that was exactly what happened. But Jessica Spotswood's writing style kept me reading. Also at first I was terified all I was going to get was a love triangle and quarreling sisters, but both weren't all too bad.


The story did not surprise me very much and the characters weren't that surprising either. Cate is the oldest and over protective of her sisters and it gets to the annoying side, these girls seriously aren't allowed to do anything. So ofcourse they do everything they are told not to. 
Then there is the love triangel. Why is it here? It is obvious which way the love story will go in this book, why is there a second love interest? There is no use for him in this book. I sure do hope he gets a little something to do besides being pretty in book two. 

That's just the problem with this story, everything is just too predictable. 

But like I said I did finish the book and that was due to the writing style, it suited the world the story is set in very well. It is set in a alternate history set in the early 20th century in New England and the mood of this story is just right. 
And that is all I liked about this story, but I do think there are a lot of people who will like this book. Because if you do enjoy a sweet love story, than this book will give you just that.

My rating: 2/5

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten